Sunday, November 13, 2011

Edible Snow Globe Series, #1- Snowflakes

Hello Fellow Gelologists,

When I was a kid, starting around Thanksgiving I used to lay on our olive shag carpet (it was the 70's!) and listen to The Charlie Brown Christmas album non-stop.  One of my favorite lines was when Lucy, in her high brow way, informs everyone, "I never eat December snowflakes.  I always wait to January."  At which Linus replies after having just tasted one,  "They sure look ripe to me."

Well, I made some November snowflakes that even Lucy would try. 


Here are my edible snowflakes in anticipation of winter season. A bit early I know but I was so excited to make these and taste them that I figured I'd blow right past Thanksgiving.  Turkey shots can come next week.




These gels have a great 3-dimensionality to them. It's hard to convey in photo but they're edible glitter inside the clear dome so when you turn the shot they sparkle.  Plus the detail of the snowflake gets amplified depending on what angle you spy the gelatin. I made the snowflakes using this mold

For taste, I wanted something cool and refreshing with a bit of bite, just like the feel of a real snowflake hitting your tongue.  So here's what I came up with...

Snowflakes
1 cup water
1 Envelope Knox
3 Tbsp Sweetened Condensed Milk

Clear Globe
1/2 cup water
1 envelope Knox
1/2 cup Peppermint cocoa simple syrup (recipe below)
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 tsp chocolate extract.

Blue Base
1/2 cup water
1 envelope Knox
1/4 cup evaporated milk
2 Tbsp. Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/4 cup Peppermint cocoa simple syrup
4 drops blue food coloring


Peppermint Cocoa simple syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

1/4 cup Peppermint Schnapps
1/4 cup Creme de Cacao
1 vanilla bean

Combine the ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove and cool.



I'm looking forward to making variations on these snow globe shots.  Feel free to let me know what other shapes I should put in there!  And if you like what you see, spread it around... I'm on the Twitter and the Facebook...... Gelology! 


Peace, Love, and Jell-O,


The Gelologist











No comments: