Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lychee gelee

Hello Gelophiles,

The first time my friend Steve handed me a lychee, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. They're rather hard to describe:  round, red, scaly-  roughly the size and texture of an eyeball. Okay, they're easy to describe, in an unappetizing manner.  But once you get past the novelty it's the most delicious and refreshing fruit! 

Here are some gelatin shots that I made using canned lychee.  I missed Lychee season which is May through July but canned is perfect for a gelatin based treat.


What I love about the lychee is the clean, crisp floral flavor combined with a slightly crunchy flesh.  But they aren't the prettiest fruit to showcase in gelatin so I used the lychee syrup and added halved green grapes.  In addition I also combined some mandarin orange juice slices.

They came out tasting delicious. Light, sweet, and floral.  

Earlier this year I declared 2011 to be the year of the gelatin shot and so far the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and even Martha Stewart have written about the once frat party favorite.

In honor of Martha, I am calling these Lycee gelees. Gelee being french for gelatin. She showcased a gelatin shot for a bridal party in her most recent publication of Martha Stewart Living.

To make these Lychee Gelees you'll need:

1  cup of canned lychee syrup
2 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup of canned mandarin orange juice
1/2 cup St Germaine
1/4 cup Absolut Wild Tea Vodka
2 Tbsp  Pear Cognac

Grapes and orange slices to decorate.




I poured the liquid into porcelain spoons and set in the fridge. You could release and serve separately or loosen and let people slide the shot off the spoon into their mouth. 


Enjoy!


Until next time, wishing you peace, love, and Jello.



No comments: