Thursday, December 29, 2011

Champagne Wishes and Raspberry Dreams

Happy Almost New Year!

In preparation for the weekend's festivities, I've been making New Year's Eve themed edible art.   What drink says Happy New Year better than sparking Champagne?  This gelatin creation is inspired by the jelly masters- Bompas and Parr.  They are a combination of Champagne, Elderflower syrup, lemon juice, sugar, and raspberries suspended as if by magic. Just like our economy.

Photo credit: Brian Feulner


I've always wondered what it would be like to grow up in a land where the New Year came at the height of summer.  What would it be like to be on the beach, by a bonfire and celebrate the ringing in of the new year by plunging into a warm body of water?

My memories are of a freezing cold Montreal-so cold your eyelashes would get little icicles as you walked home from the party. Is this a bad thing? I guess I like having the New Year come at the dead of winter so that you have something to look forward to. Something to sink your teeth into... like gelatin!

Which brings me back to my prediction; was 2011 the year of the gourmet jello shot? Jello and gelatin as a whole really hit the nation's spotlight.  The Jell-O mold competition was hugely successful and led to press and publication in the WSJ, Good Morning America, and CBS Sunday Morning. 

Gelology made into the aforementioned as well as the Boston Globe, Boston Spirit Magazine,  The Huffington Post,  and almost.... on Rock City. Still holding out. 

So far doing Gelology full-time has been a dream. Except for the dream where I was being chased by zombies who wanted to eat my jello brain- true story. So jello did hit the scene but it still has much further to go. 

In 2012 could it be the year that Gelatin passes up the wedding cake? That gelatin takes on Guinness World Record proportions? That Martha and I hob nob in the kitchen?   Who knows?  But I'm ready to dream big.

Peace, love, and gelatin,
The Gelologist 

No comments: