Saturday, February 25, 2012

The award goes to......

The 84th Academy Awards are tomorrow and for the last couple of weeks, I've been working on some molds that are apt for the ceremony.  Two of the molds are mine and one is a candy mold I purchased from a mold maker in England.  In addition to the Award Gelatins, I've also made a Red Carpet Roll-Up.  

For the statue mold making, it was a more challenging process that with the Jell-Obama.  I wanted to make a mold using 3D design software and a 3d printer. It took several months to find a group that does 3d printing but found the MakerBot Meetup here in the Boston area. 




I found a design from Google Warehouse and then worked with my friend Paul to resize and reshape the file.  From there, with the  help of the amazing Mattew Nowosiadly and Aaron Double of the MakerBot Meetup group,  I printed out two prototypes from which I could make my gelatin molds.

The rest is trade secret, except that Ben from Stony Brook Fine Arts was invaluable as always.  Hint: you can always get trade secrets out of me if you show up on my doorstep with bag of Jelly Belly jelly beans and incredible patience to listen to me prattle on about gelatin for an hour.

For recipes, The Red Carpet Roll-Ups are made Raspberry/Strawberry juice, gelatin, and gourmet marshmallows.

The Award Gels are made from a lemon drop milk gelatin and they are embedded in  Champagne and Goldschlager simple syrup gelatin.

Below are white chocolate gelatins made using the Award mold from England. 




There you have it. Until the envelopes are handed out and the dresses are cheered or jeered... may you have an enjellable Academy Award party!



No comments: