Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Turn on your black light..... Part 1

Hello Gelophiles,

This is an idea I've had for a while, but it's going to be a multiple-parter. Here's part one, the testing ground. My tenth grade biology teacher once told me that tonic water (aka Quinine) glows under a black light. As does cat urine. Hmmm. So what would happen if I made a gelatin shot out of quinine?

In this first part of a very special gelology blog, I made a sciency gel. I combined tonic water and unflavored gelatin to see what it would look like. Here are the preliminary results.

Here's the gel under normal light. I added drops of food coloring to try and simulate a DNA gel used in forensics.

And now, here's the gel under blacklight!


I'm looking forward to playing around with this idea. Stay tuned for part two. Don't worry, it doesn't involve cat urine.

Turn on your blacklight. In the middle of a science geeks dream.....

No comments: